When it comes to selecting the best exercise bikes for seniors, the first question should be “Who is the Senior?” The next questions should be, how active now, how active in the past, and, of course, medical history. The other question is just how seniors are we considering here? Some people seem to be ready to claim those senior discounts before they even start drawing a retirement check, while others might consider themselves to be fairly young well into their eighties or even nineties.
When selecting an exercise bike for someone who has reached retirement age or even for someone who has a disability, consider the person. Because no two people are alike. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some ideas.
When picking out exercise equipment for a person of any age, it is a good idea to consider that person’s general physical condition when you are choosing the best stationary bike for seniors. Has there been a back injury? How about a heart attack? High blood pressure? Low blood pressure? Bad knees? An illness that causes chronic pain? How about dizziness or weakness? Those are all things that are going to have a bearing on the best sort of exercise bike to select for the person in question.
With these things in mind, let’s take a look at some options.
Best Exercise Bikes List Models For Seniors Offers
Recumbent Bikes vs. Upright Bikes for Seniors
If the senior in question is vigorous and has a habit of regular exercise, then there is no reason why he or she should not be able to handle an upright bike. The risk, of course, is that older people are more prone to fragile bones and a tumble off an upright bike could result in a broken bone or two. That’s not fun at any age, and older bones as a general rule, tend to heal more slowly. With that said, upright bikes often have better options for developing core and upper body strength, as compared to recumbent bikes.
The best recumbent bike for seniors can provide excellent cardiovascular exercise while giving better support. If the person in question has a bad back or is prone to dizzy spells or moments of weakness, this might be the better choice. A recumbent bike can offer the same sort of pedal resistance while providing a secure, comfortable place to sit.
Floor Pedal Bikes
These little “bikes” provide the pedals, but not the seat. They can be placed on the floor or on a desk. They can be used by someone who is in a wheelchair, by locking the chair so that it doesn’t move. They can be placed unobtrusively under a desk for someone who must sit for long hours, creating a challenge for circulation. Placed on top of a desk, they can be used to work on upper body strength. Again, while the person is still seated.
Best Exercise Bikes for Seniors Selections:
In this list you can find the main and best home bicycles for seniors. Click on his photo for more information.
Hausse Portable Exercise Pedal Bike for Legs and Arms
- Mini bike pedal exerciser is used for arms and legs cycling exercise at office or home to increasing circulation and relieving tension. Product Dimensions: 13.7" x 15.7" x 11.6".
- Multifunction LCD monitor display, easy to read LCD screen displays RPM, time, speed, distance and calories burned. You can also reset by long press the red button. An extra strap is provided for securing.
- Adjustable resistance for customize exercise, easy to adjust the intension by rotating the knob. The adjustable foot band can flexibly adapt to users' feet of different sizes to meet different needs. Suitable for office workers who need sports, as well as people who need exercise.
- Portable handle features, which makes the fitness exercise bike always ready to go. Also perfect for under desk exercise, please NOTE that the desk height should be no more than 47 inch.
- With 180 days product warranty, if you have any questions, please contact us, we would be more than happy to assist.
Handy little table-top or floor model, perfect for travel, for the office or for someone who doesn’t want to deal with a full-sized exercise bike. Perfect for light cardio for legs or arms. For those whose budget is feeling the after-holiday pinch, its price is exceptionally moderate when compared with full-size exercise bikes. Learn More
Medical Deluxe Peddler
- Be used to strengthen arms and legs, helps stimulate blood circulation and increase muscle strength. Product Dimensions: 20.7" x 14.2" x 13”. Folded Dimensions: 12.6" x 14.2" x 7.1”.
- Press the red button, the electronic display shows exercise time, revolution count, revolutions per minute(RPM), calories burned, tracks the progress of your workout. Suitable for office workers who need sports, as well as people who need exercise.
- Based on your needs, adjust the knob to control the resistance level and exercise intensity for a personalized exercise experience. Under the desk to use, we suggest the height of desk more than 47 inches.
- Four oversized anti-slip rubber pads prevent the bike sliding while pedaling, more stable to pedal and protect surfaces. An extra strap is provided for securing. The adjustable foot band can flexibly adapt to users' feet of different sizes to meet different needs.
- Very easy to fold and open, no assembling is required, legs fold under for compact storage and the foldable design makes the peddler portable, can be used in the office as well as at home, easily fitting under a desk or similar space.
Highly convenient floor or tabletop peddler, again, moderately priced. Not only does it encourage light cardio exercise, but it can also be the perfect choice for the traveler who might have a hard time finding a gym. It folds up for storage or for travel. The folding mechanism is sufficiently easy to be managed by most active users. Learn More!
Stamina Recumbent Bike
A chunky bike that is designed for people who are five feet tall or taller. It sits low to the ground but can be adjusted for height. It has a comfortable seat, with a tilted back that offers good support to the person exercising. The bike does not require an electrical hookup and requires a moderate amount of floor space. Learn More!
Exerpeutic Heavy Duty Recumbent Bike
- Foldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system
- Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control system
- Easy-to-read LCD display tracks your distance, calories, time, speed, and heart rate
- Can be used as desk bike with height adjustable desks. Semi-recumbent design for easy entry and exit; large seat cushion and backrest
- Supports up to 300 pounds; Product setup dimensions: 33”L x 19”W x 46”H
Built extra sturdy for the big and tall crowd, this bike will support up to 300 pounds without feeling the strain. It has a comfortable seat, with support grips at the side so there is no strain of leaning forward to grasp handlebars. The LCD monitor is large print, and the pedals are equipped with safety loops. A newer model provides the option to fold the bike for storage. However, if the senior who will be using it is somewhat frail, this might not be a good option. Learn More!
Xterra Folding Fitness Bike
- Solid x-frame design folds to just 18. 1" x 18. 1" of floor space when not in use
- Large anatomically designed seat and multi-grip padded handlebars are designed for long lasting comfort and support
- 2" x 1" LCD window is easy to read with all the necessary information - clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse
- 8 levels of manual resistance are easily controlled through the large Dial tension knob for users of all fitness levels
- 3-piece pedal crank for added durability
A little lighter in construction and a bit easier on the pocketbook is the Xterra folding fitness bike. It uses a scissor fold, which should be manageable by the moderately fit, which means that it can be stored in a closet or a corner when not in use. It is, essentially, an upright bike. But it is intelligently designed for stability. This should be perfectly fine for the fit senior who wants to stay that way. Learn More!
Fitness is important for everyone. But as we grow older, the best exercise bikes for seniors can be a viable option for maintaining your best levels of fitness by using low-impact workout options.