Affordable exercise bikes are now needed more than ever before. The need for healthful exercise does not stop just because you have been requested to stay at home. Nor does it end just because you have an important deadline to meet or a pile of work that must be completed in order to pay the bills. As spring of 2020 develops, the need for home exercise options becomes even greater than it has ever been before.
With that said, neither do you want to spend money that you might need for something else on an expensive exercise bike. You want something that will work, maybe that will bring a little fun and enjoyment into your life, but above all, a boost toward maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
An affordable exercise bike is an asset to your home gym equipment. Other things might include resistance exercisers, yoga mats, or step exercisers. But an exercise bike has some outstanding features that put it a shade or two above other machines.
- Do not require expertise to use
- Can be adjusted to most adult heights.
- Might have WiFi connection for tracking, sharing and fun
- Compatible with social distancing
- Available in a variety of styles and difficulty
- Can be suitable for people who are recovering from injury or illness
With that said, let’s look at some affordable exercise bikes:
Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser with Electronic Display for Legs and Arms Workout
- SAFE & STABLE WITH LOWER HEIGHT- New model with wider base and heavy duty frame for increased stability and support during cycle. Designed with a lower height to better fit under desks and tables.
- ENJOYMENT IN EXERCISE - Combine your favorite activities with your workout routine. Place your pedaler under your desk while you work. Play an online game, read a book, watch a movie or chat with a friend while doing your workout. Exercise can be enjoyable. Note: Not for strenuous exercise or workout.
- LEGS & ARMS EXERCISER - Helps toned muscles, improves blood circulation, strengthen your shoulders, arms and legs.
- RESISTANCE CONTROL - Adjustable tension knob to control the level of resistance and workout intensity.
- QUICK-RELEASE FOLDING MECHANISM - Under desk bike pedal exerciser folds instantly. Compact, lightweight, easy to store or bring on the go. Product is fully assembled
Home exercise has never been easier to set up or to use. This pedal exerciser can be placed in front of any comfortable chair for leg exercise, and can even fit under most desks. Want some upper body exercise? No problem. Place the exerciser on a desk or table, and use your hands and arms to pedal.
Can be tethered to your chair or table to keep it from scooting away during use. Digital display shows exercise time, number of revolutions and revolutions per minute. Record keeping and heartrate not monitored by this device, but it has the advantage of being small, portable and super affordable exercise bikes.
XTERRA Fitness FB350 Folding Exercise Bike, Silver
- Solid X-frame design folds to just 20.5" x 20.5" of floor space when not in use
- Large anatomically designed seat with back pad and multi-grip padded handlebars are designed for long-lasting comfort and support
- 2" x 1" LCD window clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse
- 8 levels of manual resistance are easily controlled through the large dial tension know for users of all fitness levels
- Monitor your heart rate with handlebar mounted hand-pulse sensors to help you stay in your target heart rate.
A couple of steps up from the folding pedal exerciser is the Xterra FB350. It is a full-sized upright exercise bike that does fold for storage. The stable scissor-fold X shape allows one leg to be the support, while the other leg holds the pedaling device.
It has a digital monitoring device that allows you to monitor your exercise, toe loops over the pedals for added pedaling security, hand pulse grips to monitor your heart rate, and a comfortable seat with back support. Not quite as affordable as the pedal exercise, but a good deal more sophisticated and still under $200.00.
Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-709
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN – Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back. Please note: This item requires assembly
- EIGHT RESISTANCE LEVELS – This stationary bike uses a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of resistance. The tension knobs control the difficulty to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout according to fitness level
- EASY-TO-READ COMPUTER SCREEN – The ultra-functional LCD computer screen acts as a odometer and has a sharp panel display that shows time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
- COMFORTABLE PADDED SEAT – The equipment has an ergonomically designed saddle furnished with comfortable high-density foam. It features contoured foam-covered handles for extra support of the back and arms to help maintain proper form when exercising.
- COUNTERBALANCED PEDALS – Weighted pedals designed to provide maximal foot support while offering ultimate control. This bike is equipped with adjustable foot straps to create the perfect fit for your feet.
Marcy bikes are almost always a good budget choice when looking for affordable exercise bikes. The Marcy Recumbent ME-709 is a recumbent bike, which means that it works a little differently from an upright bike. While upright exercise bikes require the user to balance on the seat, recumbent bikes provide a wider seat and a substantial back. Generally more comfortable than the upright bikes, recumbents also lend more support making them a good choice for anyone who is recovering from an illness or injury. They are also an option for people who have ongoing back or skeletal conditions that make low impact the keyword of the day for exercise.
Schwinn Airdyne Bike Series
- Single-stage belt drive keeps it running quietly
- Progressive wind resistance system offers infinite levels of challenge
- RevMeter RPM gage for interval training
- Self-balancing foot pedals with foot straps
- Quiet, frictionless fan that keeps you cool
Schwinn has been in the bicycle business for more than 100 years, so you could say that they really know their bikes whether stationary or street. The airdyne bike series uses a fan to provide resistance, so the harder you pedal the more air it grabs, and the harder you have to work. Model AD6 is a superb choice if you want to keep up your physical fitness regardless of whether conditions permit playtime outside. Equipped not only with the fan resistance, the AD6 incorporates moveable handlebars so you can get in an upper-body workout as well as lower. More than double the cost of any other bike on this list, you will get your money’s worth from this bike. Check the Schwinn AirDyne Pro Upright Bike Review for more details.
Affordable Exercise Bikes for Your Lifestyle
An affordable exercise bike should certainly be part of your home fitness equipment. The bikes listed here, at the time of writing, range from a little less than $60 USD, to slightly more than $650, with options in between those prices.
Affordable is a relative term. The lower end exercise bikes are usually sturdy and functional. Most of them achieve the affordability by cutting out some of the frills, such as Wi-Fi connections, live weekly coaching sessions, and more. In most cases, if you decide you want some of those features, you can often add them on as an app for your cell phone or computer, used in conjunction with health monitoring equipment that is sold separately.
The good news about exercise bikes is that they offer easy to use, reliable exercise options that are not dependent on weather, travel or any other outside conditions.